Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Inquest: Adib in EMRS vehicle when FRT vehicle reversed, witness says

TheEdge Tue, Feb 12, 2019 12:27am - 10 months ago

SHAH ALAM (Feb 11): The inquest to determine the cause of death of firefighter Muhammad Adib Mohd Kassim was told that the victim was in an Emergency Medical Rescue Service (EMRS) vehicle when a Fire Rescue Tender (FRT) vehicle started to reverse after it was attacked by a group of people.

Medic Ahmad Shahrill Othman, who was also the EMRS vehicle driver, said that when the FRT vehicle reversed, he felt the vehicle he was driving being pushed back at the same time.

He said that at that time, Muhammad Adib, who was also a member of the EMRS, was seated next to him and they were both still communicating.

“It felt like the FRT vehicle was pushing my EMRS vehicle and I said ‘Azim’s too fast’. He (Muhamad Adib) did not reply though.

“He (Muhamad Adib) looked startled and he held the dashboard with his right hand and has his left hand on the door of the vehicle,” he said in his reply to a question from deputy public prosecutor Hamdan Hamzah.

The third witness said this on the opening day today of the inquest held here today.

Muhammad Adib, 24, who was a member of the EMRS from the Subang Jaya Fire & Rescue Station, was seriously injured during the riots at the Seafield Sri Maha Mariamman Temple in USJ 25, Subang Jaya, on Nov 27 last year.

He succumbed to his injuries on Dec 17 last year at the National Heart Institute (IJN).

Meanwhile, second witness Md Elliza Mohd Noor, who was the FRT vehicle driver from the Subang Jaya Fire & Rescue Station, resumed with his testimony this afternoon and said that he had reversed his vehicle for about 80 metres when it was attacked by the rioters.

“When reversing, there were two vehicles at the back — a Proton Exora taxi and an unidentified car,” he said.

Md Elliza, at one point, appeared to be teary-eyed while looking at and flipping through documents and pictures of Muhammad Adib that were shown to him.

The inquest, before Judge Rofiah Mohamad who is sitting as the coroner, continues tomorrow with a visit to the scene of the riots in the vicinity of the temple.

Mohd Kamaruzaman A. Wahab, the lawyer for Muhammad Adib’s family, told reporters outside the court that the three witnesses who testified today would also be brought to the scene.

“The visit will enable us to see the location and get an idea of where the Fire Rescue Tender and Emergency Medical Rescue Service vehicles were on that day and such,” he said.

Asked whether the two vehicles would also be brought to the scene during the visit, Mohd Kamaruzaman said he was unable to verify that.


Login to comment.