Five new Covid-19 clusters detected, including a Klang workplace with 110 infections

TheEdge Mon, Jan 04, 2021 08:41pm - 1 month ago


KUALA LUMPUR (Jan 4): The Jalan Duyong cluster in Klang, Selangor, detected from workplace screening, was among five new Covid-19 clusters detected today, said Health director-general Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah.

He said the cluster saw 110 positive cases after targeted screenings were conducted on 536 individuals at a company on Dec 31, 2020.

Two other workplace clusters were identified in the Klang Valley in the 24 hours as of noon today, said Dr Noor Hisham.

They were the Jalan Sentosa market cluster in Kuala Langat, Selangor with 61 cases and the Jalan Nakhoda cluster involving the Titiwangsa and Cheras districts in Kuala Lumpur with 14 cases.

The other two clusters detected during the 24-hour period were the Ehsan Ibol cluster, which spans the Hulu Perak and Larut-Matang-Selama districts in Perak, as well as the Gombak district in Selangor with 22 cases, and the Telok Mas cluster involving a detention centre in Melaka Tengah, Melaka with 13 cases.

Dr Noor Hisham noted a rising number of clusters linked to workplaces since the third wave began on Sept 20, 2020. This was due to the enforcement of the Conditional Movement Control Order, which allowed the economic sectors to resume operations.

"We have seen an increase in [Covid-19 infections] among foreign workers in construction sites as well as the factories. About 63% of infections involved foreign workers, meanwhile the remaining 37% were locals," said Dr Noor Hisham.

To date, 537 clusters have been reported in the country.

Meanwhile, 306 clusters have been declared ended as no new cases were reported in the last 28 days.

These include six clusters which came to an end today, namely the Batu Sembilan cluster in Selangor, the Saguking cluster in Labuan, the Monsoon cluster in Selangor, the Buntar cluster which spanned Perak, Kedah and Putrajaya, the Sky Coklat cluster in Labuan and the Gading cluster involving Putrajaya and Negeri Sembilan.

Malaysia today reported 1,741 new Covid-19 cases, lifting the nationwide total to 120,818.

Read also:

MoH: Covid-19 fatalities top 500 with seven more deaths, daily infections at 1,741






Related Stocks

MATANG 0.080
PRKCORP 0.350

Comments

Login to comment.