Negeri Sembilan state assembly to proceed amid intensifying royal rift

TheEdge Wed, Apr 22, 2026 09:06pm - 3 weeks View Original


KUALA LUMPUR (April 22): All eyes are on the Negeri Sembilan state legislative assembly sitting on Thursday, which is set to proceed as scheduled despite an escalating dispute over the position of the state ruler.

According to an invitation issued by the state secretary’s office, the opening ceremony will be held at Istana Hinggap in Seremban, with Tuanku Muhriz Almarhum Tuanku Munawir expected to officiate the sitting.

The programme indicates that Tunku Besar Tampin Tunku Syed Razman and the four Undang Yang Empat — Datuk Mubarak Thahak (Sungai Ujong), Maarof Mat Rashad (Jelebu), Muhammad Abdullah (Johol) and Abdul Rahim Yasin (Rembau) — are scheduled to arrive at 9.30am, followed by Tuanku Muhriz and his consort Tuanku Aishah Rohani at 9.40am.

Tuanku Muhriz is expected to inspect a guard of honour before delivering his royal address at 10am to open the first meeting of the assembly’s fourth session.

However, uncertainty remains over whether the Undangs and the Tunku Besar Tampin will attend, given their involvement in a move to remove Tuanku Muhriz — a development that has sparked a broader constitutional and customary dispute in the state.

The situation came to the fore on April 19, when the Undang Yang Empat, led by Mubarak, announced at a press conference that Tuanku Muhriz had been removed.

Under Article 7(2) of the state constitution, the Yang di-Pertuan Besar is elected by the Undangs, while Article 10(1) empowers them to determine whether the ruler is unfit to rule due to serious incapacity, misconduct, or breaches of the constitution or Islamic principles, and to require him to step aside or abdicate.

The Undangs also named Tunku Nadzaruddin Tuanku Ja’afar as the next Yang di-Pertuan Besar with immediate effect. His late father, Tuanku Ja’afar Tuanku Abdul Rahman, was Tuanku Muhriz’s predecessor.

In response, Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Aminuddin Harun said the state government does not recognise the declaration, noting that Mubarak had already been removed from his position prior to making the announcement.

The Undangs and the Tunku Besar Tampin subsequently called for Aminuddin’s removal, describing him as unfit for office. Aminuddin has yet to respond publicly, and a scheduled press conference following the state executive council meeting on Wednesday was cancelled at short notice.

Separate gatherings planned

Meanwhile, separate gatherings are set to take place outside Istana Hinggap ahead of the assembly opening.

One group, identifying itself as the Secretariat Pertahankan DYMM Tuanku YDPB & YAB Menteri Besar, is organising a gathering at 8am to submit a memorandum of support for the ruler and the menteri besar, with an estimated turnout of 100 to 200 participants.

Another notice, whose sender was not identified, called on representatives from the five Luak to gather in large numbers outside the palace between 8am and 8.30am before proceeding to Istana Hinggap — a mobilisation believed to be in support of the Undang Yang Empat.

The notice added that authorities, including the police and municipal council, have been informed of the planned movement and parking arrangements, and indicated that a motion is expected to be tabled at the state assembly, although no further details were provided.

So far, there has been no official response from authorities regarding the circulated notices or the planned gatherings.

State police chief Datuk Ahmad Alzafny Ahmad has reportedly said police will not intervene in the royal dispute, while urging the public to maintain order.

The content is a snapshot from Publisher. Refer to the original content for accurate info. Contact us for any changes.






Comments

Login to comment.